Password protecting a directory will restrict access to certain parts of your website by requiring visitors to enter a username and a password. This password process is also referred to as a type of ďauthenticationĒ process.
When using this feature, navigate around the directories by clicking the folder icon located next to the name of the directory. Clicking on the name of the directory will select the directory for the password protection process.
Note: Remember that any sub-directories inside the selected directory will also be password protected.
Password Protect a Directory
To password protect your directory:
- Select the directory in which you wish to begin working in the pop-up window.
- Click the Go button.
- Select the directory you wish to protect from the list.
- Using the Name the protected directory field, assign a name to the password protected directory. (This is the name visitors will see. It can appear as anything, no matter what the directory is called.)
- Click Save.
After you complete this procedure, you can then create a user and password using the Create User section of this interface.
- Enter the username, new password, and password confirmation in the appropriate boxes.
- Click Add/modify authorized user.
Note: The new user's name will be added to the list box under the Authorized Users heading, where it can be removed later.
To delete password protection for a user:
- Select the desired account name in the list box beneath the Authorized Users heading.
- While the name is highlighted, click the Delete User button to delete the account.
- To remove password protection from the directory, uncheck "Password protect this directory"